Walking Dead Knife Use

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

Re: Walking Dead Knife Use

Postby Mrknot » Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 pm

I often wonder where the idea that a knife or sword would get stuck in a skull or body comes from?
In a former life, I broke down hundreds of primal cuts of beef, pork, fish, etc...
Never once did my knife get "stuck" in flesh or bone to the point that it was difficult to extract. Every now and then it might get lodged or pinched in a large joint or something, but that's a different matter; no joints on the skull.

When chopping wood, yes, blades get stuck all the time, but flesh and bone behave quite a bit differently than wood.

Anyone ever have their knife get stuck when dressing out a large animal like deer or elk?
Just curious, cause in my experience, it doesn't happen. I could be unique though, and just that good...:-)
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:24 am

I've busted up a few old animal skulls with my SOG tomahawk, even used it on the head of a goat carcass in Afghanistan once. Maybe it's just the mechanics of the device, but it didn't get stuck. Killed a few rabid dogs with it too.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby redeyes » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:40 pm

Mrknot wrote:I often wonder where the idea that a knife or sword would get stuck in a skull or body comes from?
In a former life, I broke down hundreds of primal cuts of beef, pork, fish, etc...
Never once did my knife get "stuck" in flesh or bone to the point that it was difficult to extract. Every now and then it might get lodged or pinched in a large joint or something, but that's a different matter; no joints on the skull.

When chopping wood, yes, blades get stuck all the time, but flesh and bone behave quite a bit differently than wood.

Anyone ever have their knife get stuck when dressing out a large animal like deer or elk?
Just curious, cause in my experience, it doesn't happen. I could be unique though, and just that good...:-)

I think it came from fantasy authors who also had their characters stabbing someone with swords "to the hilt". Of course that is using the sword improperly, and is stupid and dangerous. The same people who thought people stabbed others "to the hilt" thought people would give up immediately after receiving a mortal wound like they portray in plays and operas. They should have figured out that if someone can deliver a grand speech or an aria after being stabbed, they could also kill you, especially since you have conveniently put yourself in knife range or grapple and throw to ground and stab range (assuming sword use) and to an extent, disarmed yourself.
redeyes
Survivor

Postby #4Buck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:21 pm

Hi. Newbie here.

"Walking Dead Knife Use" is a pretty old post, but it just happened to be the first one I read after I signed-up here, and I just happened to be thinking about this very thing while watching the last few episodes -- those Georgia survivors sure make it look easy to kill a zombie by stabbing it in the head. I've always thought it's probably not THAT easy, and I've wondered, where would be the best place to strike?

The answer seems to be "Pterion." Wikipedia says the Pterion is the spot on the side of the skull, just behind the eye, where five sections of bone that make up the skull (plates?) all meet, and it's generally recognized as the thinnest and/or weakest part of the skull. So, I guess if you have to kill a zombie with a knife, stab him in the temple, just behind the eye.

I'm also guessing that THROUGH the eye would be okay, too, if your knife is long enough. And since my 60 seconds of research says the average human skull is about 7" wide, then a blade about 6" long would probably be about right - long enough to go most of the way through the brain, but not long enough to punch through the other side, thereby being harder to extract.
If your attack is going well, it's probably an ambush.
#4Buck
Bait

Postby UnderDude » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:46 pm

Welcome newbie. Head on over to the meet and greet section and introduce yourself.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 pm

#4Buck wrote:Hi. Newbie here.

"Walking Dead Knife Use" is a pretty old post, but it just happened to be the first one I read after I signed-up here, and I just happened to be thinking about this very thing while watching the last few episodes -- those Georgia survivors sure make it look easy to kill a zombie by stabbing it in the head. I've always thought it's probably not THAT easy, and I've wondered, where would be the best place to strike?

The answer seems to be "Pterion." Wikipedia says the Pterion is the spot on the side of the skull, just behind the eye, where five sections of bone that make up the skull (plates?) all meet, and it's generally recognized as the thinnest and/or weakest part of the skull. So, I guess if you have to kill a zombie with a knife, stab him in the temple, just behind the eye.

I'm also guessing that THROUGH the eye would be okay, too, if your knife is long enough. And since my 60 seconds of research says the average human skull is about 7" wide, then a blade about 6" long would probably be about right - long enough to go most of the way through the brain, but not long enough to punch through the other side, thereby being harder to extract.

Good first post!
Welcome to the forum!!
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:59 am

Without even reading the post you had, that was my first though. Side of the head, just behind the eye. Maybe in through the ear would be good too? I'm not too sure about skull thickness
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:03 pm

Eye, temple, ear, back of the head at the base of the skull. Bob called it right long ago.....An ice pick or sharpened screwdriver would be the quickest and easiest way to get the job done.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Welcome to the Zoo!

Good point on location.
Thinking in terms of penetration and damage.
As shown by Roger using a screwdriver in the Original Dawn of the Dead it seems just releasing inter-cranial pressure seems to be enough.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Previous

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons