"What You Did This Week"........Gun Edition

If It Goes Bang It Goes Here

Re: "What You Did This Week"........Gun Edition

Postby kiltedninja » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 pm

My primary issue with the Shield was the trigger, but the new .45 model fixed that issue. I may end up getting it if I decide I want to get away from full sized pistols.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:10 am

The trigger will never be as good as a 1911.
It's more a matter of they are acceptable.
As the years and number of rounds have gone by I have grown more tolerant of triggers, up to a point.
The trigger on my race Glock is very different than the triggers on my other Glocks.

Just because I like or dislike a gun means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The trick is to keep an open mind.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:16 pm

So I've begun the process for getting my Concealed carry permit. I'm also doing price checks to start upgrading the 1911.

All internals are more or less going to be Wilson Combat parts. Except the barrel, I'm probably going with Colt on that one. I'm going to upgrade the sights which means getting a new slide since the GI model has fixed sights.

All told, it's gonna cost me just shy of 600 bucks over the next year. Basically I'm either buying one part per pay check or setting aside money for the biggest stuff (slide, sights and barrel). I took the entire thing apart this morning and got it all back together without an issue so I'm confident that this will go relatively smoothly.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 am

The first thing is to find the right gunsmith.
A 1911 is not like a Glock.
Many of the parts need to be fitted sometimes they drop right in but sometimes not.
I would not replace the slide unless you really want to.
The slide you have can be cut for the sights you want.
The barrel will need to be fitted and so will a replacement slide.
I have a Springfield that needs sights and it will be done, if the slide didn't need to be cut the project would have been completed long ago.
I intend to put a set of Novak fixed sights on it.

Just because I think something does not make it right or wrong maybe 1911 parts don't have to be fitted anymore?
I just cringe at the thought of putting a slide in a vice to squeeze it, the guys who are experienced at it have screwed some up getting that experience.
However unless you are building a race gun I see no reason to change the barrel unless it has a problem or you just want to.
Wilson makes good stuff no question about it.

Out of curiosity what slide were you thinking of getting?
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:03 pm

So the Rock Island GI model has fixed sights in the fashion of the original mil-spec sights. I'm getting a slide also made by Rock Island that has night sights on it.

The first few parts I got dropped right in with no fitting required. I got a new hammer, beavertail and sear.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:48 am

I will be interested to hear how the replacement slide fits.
I am planning on having my slide cut and sights installed but if your venture goes really well I may consider a slide.
I was thinking I might get my stainless slide blacked so as to create a pinto pistol.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 pm

The difference with the new parts has been a much smoother action and a slightly lighter trigger pull. I'm pleased with my work so far.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Jester » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm going to see about getting my rifle back from my dad. It's the only gun I own, a little .22 Marlin. It's not much, but it'll make me more comfortable having it than not. My dad has a bad habit of selling things in his posession, even if he doesn't own them...bless his heart.
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everything drops to zero."
Jester
Survivor

Postby angelicdemon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:12 am

Bought a M&P Performance Center Shield chambered in .40 a few weeks ago.
angelicdemon
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:34 am

Happened to get a 1 pound bag of 1" steel flechettes, surplus goodies to test for use in the not too distant future. A pound of them equals roughly 800:

I intend to use these in my double barrel caplock. As the barrels are .619, supposedly I can use 20 gauge shot containers in it. As such, I can theoretically load 16 per barrel. I am basing this estimate on loaded rounds shown here:

Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to FireArms