Duds

If It Goes Bang It Goes Here

Duds

Postby Mrknot » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:20 pm

About a year and a half ago I inherited a slew of .45acp handloads from my uncle. Most of them are 30-40 years old and sat in his uninsulated garage for most of that time.
I take them out to the range whenever I go and run them through the 625. About 1 in 7 are duds. Half of those that do work produce a black powder-esque plume of smoke and stink like crazy.
What I have found is that shooting unreliable ammo, (I only shoot them through the wheel gun as its built like a tank), points out some very obvious flaws in trigger control and recoil anticipation. It's been a great training tool.
How many of us do this intentionally? As in, have a buddy blind-load a mag or cylinder and then let you shoot it?
Great training tool...
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Duds

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:54 am

If you have not done it you will be surprised how much you flinch.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Duds

Postby kiltedninja » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:34 pm

I bought a bunch of handloads when I went to a gun show in Vegas about a year ago, about 1 in 20 were duds, it definitely gives you real world practice for IA drills when you're at the range. veteran shooters or prior service folk who handled weapons in their job tend to not think anything of it, but tap rack bang is something you want to remember when the weather shows a higher percentage of lead in the air and your gun stops working like it's supposed to.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Return to FireArms