A list, perhaps?

Zombie Novels and Stories

A list, perhaps?

Postby ConSeannery » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:56 am

There was always plenty of good, well written zombie books on the last forum, and this one is shaping up to be no different.

However, they were all scattered in their own topics and there was never really a complete list, and well... This one is shaping up to be no different!

So, I propose we make a list, where we copy/paste the list above us, and put in our own additions which should contain the title, author, and a short description if you can be bothered. That way, the entire list will be at the bottom of the thread, and will involve minimal hunting around for good zombie books! Hopefully this takes off, and I'll start

-The Zombie Survival Guide, Max Brooks
Nothing in this book should be taken overly seriously, but it's a great intro to zombies and how to defend against them, and is a great way to both fuel and sate curiosity about the undead.

-World War Z, Max Brooks
Not really a traditional novel, this book follows the story of a UN investigator trying to piece as much as he can as a zombie pandemic seems to be winding down and coming under control through interviews from people of many different backgrounds and stories.

-'Benny Imura' series, Jonathon Marberry
This series consists of four novels, 'Rot and Ruin', 'Dust and Decay', 'Flesh and Bone', and 'Dead and Gone', and I've only read the first two. The setting is an isolated California mountain town about 15 years after a zombie apocalypse. The main character, Benny, begins the series as a whiny 15-year old just looking for a free lunch, but circumstances lead to him, his older half-brother, and his friends out in the wilderness. Incredible character development, great pacing, and just ridiculous enough to stay interesting without becoming unreasonable. You WILL be put off by the start, but trust me, it is worth sticking through the complaining.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head. Hopefully I'm not the only one that thinks this is a good idea
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Re: A list, perhaps?

Postby Bob » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:42 pm

I think this is an excellent idea!
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:56 pm

Bob wrote:I think this is an excellent idea!

Then hopefully you won't mind adding to it! :P

Just copy/paste my list, (Quoting might get a bit unweildy, but feel free to do that too) and make your own additions!

On a side note, I had a feeling you'd be the first to respond to this :P
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby T-biz2013 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:46 am

Great idea. I need more recommended books to read.

-The Zombie Survival Guide, Max Brooks
Nothing in this book should be taken overly seriously, but it's a great intro to zombies and how to defend against them, and is a great way to both fuel and sate curiosity about the undead.

-World War Z, Max Brooks
Not really a traditional novel, this book follows the story of a UN investigator trying to piece as much as he can as a zombie pandemic seems to be winding down and coming under control through interviews from people of many different backgrounds and stories.

-'Benny Imura' series, Jonathon Marberry
This series consists of four novels, 'Rot and Ruin', 'Dust and Decay', 'Flesh and Bone', and 'Dead and Gone', and I've only read the first two. The setting is an isolated California mountain town about 15 years after a zombie apocalypse. The main character, Benny, begins the series as a whiny 15-year old just looking for a free lunch, but circumstances lead to him, his older half-brother, and his friends out in the wilderness. Incredible character development, great pacing, and just ridiculous enough to stay interesting without becoming unreasonable. You WILL be put off by the start, but trust me, it is worth sticking through the complaining.

-The Rising, Brian Keene
This is the first of a two part story of 'zombies'. Well they aren't technically zombies. But I'll let the reader figure it out. They do have the part about the human dying first right. But anyway. This starts off with a man in a bunker created for the 'New Millennium' scare. He has a radio and his cell phone and gets a call from his son in another state who was staying with his ex-wife when shtf. Then the story begins.

-City of the Dead, Brian Keene
This book finishes the story of Jim. He finds a small group and they continue to find shelter. I love the grown-up language. The ending, I'l let the reader find out. There are funny one-two page side stories the book takes. Not relevant. But the main characters take part in it.
Do Work!
T-biz2013
Survivor

Postby CavWarrior » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:48 am

The 'Rot and Ruin' series by Jonathan Maberry
'As The World Dies' trilogy by Rhiannon Frater. She also wrote three books detailing the lives of minor characters called Untold tales.
'Rise Again' and 'Rise Again: Below Zero' by Ben Tripp
The 'Eden' series by Tony Monchinski
The 'Day By Day Armegeddon' series by J.L. Bourne
The 'Morningstar Strain' series by Z.A. Recht
'Tooth and Nail', 'The Infection', and 'The Killing Floor' by Craig DiLouie
'Reign of the Dead' by Len Barnhart
'Flesh Eaters', 'Mutated', 'Dead City', 'The Savage Dead', and 'Apocalypse of the Dead' all by Joe McKinney
The 'Twilight' series by Travis Adkins
'Down the Road' series by Bowie Ibarra

And let's not forget our very own authors;
'100 Days in Deadland' by Rachel Aukes
'Silence of the Souls' and 'Resurgance' by S.M. Oberhansley
'Ground Zero' and 'Die Trying' by Nicholas Ryan (Team Exodus has a spot in 'Ground Zero')

That should keep someone busy for awhile, assuming they've not read anything on the list.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:45 pm

"No Easy Hope", "This Shattered Land", and "The Warrior Within" by James N Cook are pretty good. Paints an interesting picture of the ZPAW, the causes for it, and the like. I found them on Amazon for my kindle.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby flygirl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Slow Burn by Bobby Adair
The Remaining by DJ Molles

I've got about 30 more on my kindle that I still have to read.
"Time for some thrilling heroics." ~Jayne Cobb
flygirl
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:08 am

flygirl wrote:Slow Burn by Bobby Adair
The Remaining by DJ Molles

I've got about 30 more on my kindle that I still have to read.

The Remaining was good. I have that one. I'm currently reading the Morningstar saga.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Coneigh » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:11 am

:stagger: What Zombies Fear series, Kirk Allmond.
Alice in Deadland series, Mainak Dhar
Coneigh
Bait

Postby Coneigh » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm on Book 5 of the Arisen series by Glynn James and Michael Stephen Fuchs. This series is so good I can't read it fast enough.
Coneigh
Bait

Next

Return to Books