Thoughts on Children in the City

Survival in an Urban Environment

Re: Thoughts on Children in the City

Postby Haiwayman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:45 pm

My wife dislikes firearms. She tolerates it if I keep everything in the safe. I think deep down she knows that she would need them when the shtf.
Haiwayman
Hunter

Postby Bob » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:47 pm

Apatite Fatigue?
Never heard of that.
I guess I am tolerant of it due to the way I grew up and the fact I was poor when I was first married.

I eat the exact same thing for Breakfast and Lunch day after day.
Meal Replacement for breakfast made with coffee and a spoonful of cocoa (plain unsweetened).
Lunch is meal replacement made with coffee and cocoa plus a quarter cup of Walnuts.
There are about a dozen variants I have for dinner and lunch on weekends.
I look at it as basic ration eat / drink it and be done.

If that was absolutely all I had day after day I might feel differently.
Hope I never have to find out.

Zombreach if the feces does hit the oscillating air mover I have you covered.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks Bob! I'm sure you could supply half the town with the fire arms that you own! :)

Like Bob, I have the same thing for breakfast most mornings--an Atkins protein drink. It's filling, easy, tasty, and I am too lazy to put much effort into cooking for myself in the morning. I can see how a person could have appetite fatigue though (apatite is a gemstone guys). I enjoy a little variety with my other meals. I don't think I'd starve myself if I had to eat the same thing though---the chance of differrent, better meals in the future would keep me going. Stick me in a room with only one type of food and no escape...well, maybe that would be enough to let starvation take its toll.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:49 pm

I don't remember the data, in detail, but I think that the studies were based off some post WWII era prison food experiments. I think that actively burning a ton of calories (e.g., rucking around with a pack in a shitty environment) one would not care what type of calories that they have. I know after backpacking for a day or two, I'll eat anything if I have been pushing hard. If I was sitting in the same room, with cold oatmeal, that may be different. It was, mentioned, however, so I thought I would mention it.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:46 am

Oatmeal?
Isn't that what my grandfather fed his horses? :lol:

Seriously I do not eat Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat or quinoa
Not even when I was 350 pounds would I eat that stuff.
Don't know why, just have an aversion to it.
I don't currently but would previously occasionally eat grits.

I am catching hell getting enough protein in my diet even with supplements.
42 grams breakfast
About 45 grams lunch
Protein bar 20 grams
I can only eat so much for dinner
Keep in mind I am a really large individual even when I am not overweight.
Plus I am old so I don't absorb like you youngsters.
My goal is 180 to a bit over 200
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:59 pm

Haha I am not a fan of it myself, but I will eat it if has butter / milk in it. I know hotsauce can fix most problems when it comes to eating stuff, but I am not too sure about how much of stuff like that people pack for emergency storage. I don't think that spices really go bad, do they? I'll take some out with me in a little squishy plastic container when I go out backpacking/hunting just in case we're lucky enough to nab something, but I have no clue what kids would like. I imagine it would vary much more, with each child, and with regional preferences.

That's a lot of protein. I think as long as you're limiting your sugar you should be sitting pretty, but I am not a physician, nor a dietician, so go see one of them if you haven't already about that stuff.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:52 am

It is.
My wife says I am wrong that I don't need that much
Her dietician says she needs 120 the calculator disagrees.
I think her dietician is using an old model for her calculations.

We basically eat modified paleo.
Mainly meat, colorful vegetables, fruit.
I eat very little bread and cereals.
The most amazing thing is my endocrine system woke up.
The sudden increase of nocturnal activity has been kind of hard on my wife (pun intended).

Here is a protein calculator if you are interested in getting your own numbers.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

I am preparing for the final phase of my life.
I am exercising like it is my job, hell I may even join a gym this week so I can get access to the machines.
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King.

To get back to the subject at hand.
If a kid is hungry enough they will eat anything even liver and onions.
I hate liver, but as a kid if that was all there was I would eventually get hungry enough to eat it.
Today? Screw that shit, I will skip a meal before I eat that foul tasting stuff.
In the ZPAW I feel certain I would choke it down and be happy to have it.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:30 pm

Firstly, thanks for the calculator - that's a cool metric. I don't really have any diet, but I am sure to limit/throttle stuff that I do like, you know, moderation and all that. I typically eat fish twice a week, red meat maybe once, and then chicken the rest. For dinner I will have meat / something green (usually broccoli, kale, or spinach) and that is about it. Throughout the day I'll have cheeses/nuts/eggs and maybe some chips/popcorn. I try to limit processed foods, and simple carbohydrates, but I will smash a plate of tatter tots and I won't give up beer. I'm not a huge fan of those 'paleo' 'ketogentic' or whatever diets. You have to change your life style, not your diet, if you want results; according to much research studies that is. I only will have tots maybe once a week, if that, or some Doritos, but I don't want to give that stuff up. Honestly, just limiting sugar intake should get everyone a huge uptick in their health, but people tend to eat processed shit far too often, which is laden with that stuff.

I've underpacked food before, while on a 4 day backpacking trip, and I was ready to eat anything around the third day. If those 'survival' shows are indicative of anything, is that after a few days of being hungry, you'll resort to some primitive levels of food choices. However, they are all able bodied humans, and not the elderly or children, so I really don't know.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:51 pm

My modified Paleo work very well for me.
I did well on Atkins but it was not sustainable.
When I was doing Atkins if I ate any carbs I was screwed for 3 days while they cleared my system.
The only time it bothers me is when I go the grocery store and walk past all the processed stuff I used to eat.
I still eat some but not much, when I do I can feel the carb crash.
Most people eat so many carbs they don't get a crash because of constant intake or they don't recognize it for what it is.
I do drink some beer and liquor although not as much as early last year when I peaked.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:56 am

Sorry y'all, I love oatmeal, malt-o-meal even more so. Boy likes it too, with a little cinnamon and nutmeg plus Brown sugar.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to Surviving in a City