The next ice age: a study in preparedness.

Survival in an Urban Environment

The next ice age: a study in preparedness.

Postby Mrknot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:48 am

We've had a cold snap here in Portland, unusual for this time of year, but not unheard of. Freezing rain, accumulations of ice, slippery roads, etc...

I haven't talked about my new job much, but it's in a supermarket.
With the threat of a freeze and severe weather, the sheeple were out in force tonight; buying bottled water, batteries, salt, (for de-icing), you name it...
We got our asses kicked. (At work)

Made me chuckle/cry/wonder all night tonight...what if this were a REAL emergency?

The bottled water shelves were EMPTY by the end of the night, (we've experienced no disruption in water service), a couple of folks actually got in a mini tug-of-war over the last couple of bottles. No shots fired or general mayhem, but still...

I'm not going to go through a detailed list of my preps here, but sufficeth to say, my family can weather, in comfort, any of these minor difficulties with no problem. I will add that we are by no means wealthy...

The market where I work caters to a higher income clientele; organic, non-GMO, hippie, rich-kid type folks.
If you have that much disposable income, why, oh why, would you not devote just a smidge of it to being prepared for emergencies???

I hope and pray that all of you reading this have at least the basics covered to survive a 3-5 day suspension in services. More if you can afford it. It's not that difficult.

If not, then God help you if it gets worse than that...
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: The next ice age: a study in preparedness.

Postby UnderDude » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:58 am

We're good for a couple of months here, and we're not rich either. I would like to stock up on some more sterno fuel though. Have you given that a thought Knot? Comes in handy, even when camping.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:48 am

I actually get a kick out of those sort of situations, inasmuch as I can in all the seriousness of the situation. Last year a similar thing happened down here, a polar cold front breezed through and 1/8th of an inch of snow dropped - causing the whole city to basically shut down. What I noticed, in general, is that people tend to go for the prototypical goods: water, canned food, diapers, beer, tobacco, and other such items. What I rarely see, if at all, are people getting medical supplies, fuel and warming items, tools, or ways of capturing water. What did you notice at your Wholefoods-ish type store?

Even as a broke ass college student, I always manage to stuff away some items every month or so for an emergency - be it a zombie apocalypse or an abnormal cold snap. However, most friends I have don't have more than a day or two worth of supplies, no means to protect themselves, and not even a basic fundamental understanding of the outdoors. Most of them, mind you, are also graduate students as well, so it hurts my brain thinking about it.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Mrknot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:11 am

UnderDude wrote:We're good for a couple of months here, and we're not rich either. I would like to stock up on some more sterno fuel though. Have you given that a thought Knot? Comes in handy, even when camping.....

I have about a dozen 4hr Sternos in the house, and keep one in each vehicle bag. They are very handy indeed. I've been looking at either buying or making a little camp stove system that could also utilize Sternos as well as small, scrap wood. Kind of like this:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... IKEA+stove
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Around here stores like Smart and Final stack pallets of bottled water outside in front of the store. I would love to watch a situation where the non-believers have to battle over it.
It's quite simple to store extra water. Buy an extra gallon or two when you can afford it, save empty plastic bottles you use at home. Not difficult, not expensive, not time consuming.....Just smart business.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Just be sure to get the battle of the bottles on video.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Bob wrote:Just be sure to get the battle of the bottles on video.

That would likely confirm existing beliefs, and therefore be offensive.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:53 am

Z
You are right it would be pulled from YouTube instantly.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Return to Surviving in a City