Pics: Battle blades to short swords...

It it Cuts or Smashes talk about it here

Re: Pics: Battle blades to short swords...

Postby Mrknot » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Red Star wrote:how much was it if you don't mind me asking?

I am almost kind of embarrassed to say, but I only paid $175 for it.
It is a 1st gen model with the paracord wrapped ring pommel, as opposed to the riveted micarta pommel on the later models.
I bought it at a local cutlery shop that is no longer in business.
Rob is an Oregon boy, so I'm not even sure his stuff was available outside of the state at that time.
They had the katana there too for $275, wish I had gone back and bought that as well before the shop closed down...
Mrknot
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Well if it is as durable as it seems and is reliable, then you got a pretty good deal on it. Thank you very much! ;)

For the record:

To all of you out there who buy different blades and such out there- it is NOT an easy task. Some of the greatest looking stuff out there can be crap, and you can find some rudimentary things that turn out to be gold mines. Believe you me, I know this from personal experience. I have been shafted many times and have tossed out many an embarrassment. The purpose of these picture threads are to better educate ourselves- MYSELF included. By taking a practical approach and obtaining info from others, we can ALL benefit from everyone's experiences...

and that's a WIN/WIN situation, right? :mrgreen:
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby CavWarrior » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Red Star wrote:I think I was looking into Rob Criswell stuff a while back, that one looks nice. The Japanese chisel point blade style lends nicely for hard penetrations(at least with good blades). Definitely looks VERY MUCH better than your average mall ninja stuff, how much was it if you don't mind me asking? I've seen too many crappo stuff out there unfortunately. Costs you to get the decent stuff, and mail/internet order can be VERY disappointing to say the least. A good find, thanks for showing!

Ah, you have the cosmoline off now! Full tangs on blades are VERY important(I'm assuming your wakizashi is) as the ones with thin rods or bars with pommels threaded onto the ends are pretty much useless. It doesn't take very long at all for them to start bending or loosening up- usually both at once too. This one shows that there ARE decent blades to be had these days that can be affordable as well. Another goodie Sir!

:good post:

Let's see some more stuff out there, that way we can all find some new and improved additions to the armory!!! :ugeek:

the rat tail tangs tend to bend and break at the most inopportune times. They definitely won't hold up to vigorous use.
CavWarrior
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:21 pm

Pegged that right CavWarrior, all too true.

So, nobody else has anything to show yet? Ok, I think I have one more for here:

This is a Falcata. It is a Celt-Iberian weapon of the BC era. The origins of these have been often tied into both Greek and Asian weaponry but has not been proven true. They are a fearsome blade that could cleave both helm and shield. The inertia these blades produce is extreme, not much would stop them. Their weight and inertia are their downfall in prolonged engagement, but every hit will be a big one to be sure.
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 am

I like that sword.
With that in one hand and your Glock in the other you would be ready for the people down the street.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm

Oh, that brings up another point! The design of the hilt is such that bigger hands probably wouldn't fit in it. You would have to hold one before thinking of purchasing one of these. So Bob, next time you are up this way you will have to test it out! ;)
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:08 am

If a large hand won't fit then there is no way mine will.
I have a hell of a time finding gloves that fit.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah, in the old days they would have made a bigger hilt(and blade) for you to use. Nowadays in this mass produced off the rack world we are at the mercy of the seller.

That is unless you want to go over to Windlass steel and see if you can get a custom job done! :lol:
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby hotlead » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Bob wrote:What is the purpose of the curled part that looks kind of like a coat hook?

That's called a quillion, and I've read was intended to be used to catch an opponents blade, bayonet or sword, give a twist and either control the opposing weapon or disarm the opponent.

A few of mine.

A machine made Japanese Katana from the early 1930s, shortened at one time to military length,

A handful of my KaBars,

My Tomahawk,

My current EDC,

My EDC from 10 years old to around 25 years old,

Not a good pic, but the long skinny thing on the left is a P-1907 bayonet,

M-1905E1 Bowie point bayonet,

USGI True Temper machete, dated 1966

Camillus blade marked M3 trench knife,

My woods walking set up, M-1917 Bolo, short KaBar, Gerber multitool,

M-5 bayonet(in front of the ammo can),

That's some of the blades, but not all, not by quite a bit.
This morning, Mrs. Hotlead very calmly said, "Yes, you can have the last bagel, but if you touch the raisin toast, I'll cut you"

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath" Me talking to my Niece at the campfire.
hotlead
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby hotlead » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Here's a new USMC OKC3S bayonet,
This morning, Mrs. Hotlead very calmly said, "Yes, you can have the last bagel, but if you touch the raisin toast, I'll cut you"

"If you don't let your farts out, you'll get bad breath" Me talking to my Niece at the campfire.
hotlead
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to Edged and Melee Weapons