Dumbasses and Explosives

If it doesn't fit anywhere else put it here.

Dumbasses and Explosives

Postby Kavorkian » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 am

Nothing irritates and amuses me more than seeing untrained morons handling dangerous chemicals or explosives. So anytime I see stories about hospital visits and lost limbs because of it, I laugh my ass off before thinking we should let Darwin sort it out anytime that happens. So in honor of that contradictory feeling of irritation and amusement provided by these imbeciles, I'm starting a new thread called "Dumbasses and Explosives." My better half tells me I need therapy about this particular pet-peeve, but I say, what better therapy than educating the masses on the dangers of all things that go BOOM! while we laugh at the morons who failed to follow their basic survival instincts

This weeks subject and inaugural imbecile resides in Walton Georgia. So let's set the stage. This is probably how it went down...

This guy we'll call "Skylar" and his buddy "Adolf" are hanging out in their back yard drinking some PBR talking about how awesome they are with their guns. Adolf decides they need to record Skylar being a badass with his AR and shot a bunch of paper targets in the woods.
Skylar, having watched Rambo a million times, says "Why don't we load up that old lawnmower with some Tannerite and I'll walk and shoot at the same time! Maybe even switch out a CLIP when i run out of ammo before I blow up that terrorist lawnmower to Allah!"
Of course Adolf is up for it and the two immediately loads up the lawn mower with THREE POUNDS of the stuff, because, why not. Go big or go home is their philosophy. "Now make sure you're only 25 yards away from it before you blow that bastard up okay?" Adolf says before starting the camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqwi22HuyWg

Okay class...who can tell me what these kids did wrong?
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Re: Dumbasses and Explosives

Postby zombreach » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

I think the young man that had his leg blown off seemed very calm in the video. I would have been screaming and incoherent or in a dazed state and speechless. With that said, I do feel sympathy for the man due to his ignorance and the resulting loss of a limb, but I also feel that the exercise was a major dumbass move. I am reluctant to say that he got what he deserved, because I don't feel that way, but I also know that such an individual will end up in this type of situation sooner or later due to their stupidity.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:04 am

Umm
He didn't drop the bolt before trying to resume firing after a mag change?
Good thing that radical lawn mower wasn't charging at him.

Have I ever told my stories about home made pyrotechnics and lack of knowledge?
I was a kid, there was no "Hey! Y'all watch this!" involved
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Bob wrote:Umm
He didn't drop the bolt before trying to resume firing after a mag change?
Good thing that radical lawn mower wasn't charging at him.

Have I ever told my stories about home made pyrotechnics and lack of knowledge?
I was a kid, there was no "Hey! Y'all watch this!" involved

Haha--Your right he didn't drop the bolt did he? I cringe watching him get that close to damn Three pounds of Tannerite. Ideally You're supposed to be 100 yards out for every pound.

You haven't told me any! Story time!!!
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:44 am

I was in grammar school.
In science class the teacher (a guy) told us he had built a rocket using match heads for propellant.
He said it had failed to perform as he expected probably because he had not packed the propellant
The street I lived on had only been paved a year or so before this and there was very little traffic on the street.
It was smooth black top not the rock covered version.

I got the idea I was going to build a small match head powered rocket and using wire ties attach it to one of my match box cars.
I planned to ignite it with a fire cracker fuse.
I knew enough to be cautious of sparks.
I used a piece of copper pipe with one end clamped in a vice.
I used a brass bolt so there would be no chance of a spark.
I cut the heads off of a number of paper matches and began tamping them into the copper pipe.

What I did not know, and so failed to take into account was the heat of compression.
The match heads went off explosively blowing the side of the pipe out.
It split my thumb and a finger open and gave me severe burns on two finger tips on my left hand.
I got a peppering of small burns on my stomach I guess from match heads flying out.
Took all summer to heal.

Definitely not my finest hour.
It does prove a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Overall I count myself very lucky.

Another time as an adult I was making home made fire crackers using .308 shells, 4F Black Powder and Cannon Fuse.
We further refined the powder using a wooden dowel and an old coffee cup.
We never did achieve our goal of a blast like from an M80.
What I did achieve was a small piece of brass in my left shoulder. (what is it about my left side?)
Of course I didn't go to the doctor and my buddy could not see anything in the wound so I let it heal.
A couple of years later it started working it's way to the surface.
It reached a point that I was able to expose the metal, I told my then girlfriend to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers and rip it out.
Whimpy girl just kept gagging and saying she felt faint.
So I had to go to the doctor and he made slight cut and pulled it out, easy peasy.

You know 3 is the charm so that concluded my experiments with home made pyrotechnics.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Haha--it sounds like you were careful enough and smart enough not to go too big with your experiments.

Burns are, by far, the most painful injury to experience. Especially on your finger tips. A few years ago I had some second degree burns on my right hand and I wanted to saw my damn hand off for the first few days. That shit hurt worse than a GSW.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:24 pm

Guess it's kind of a good thing I can hardly feel anything with my right hand, I can flip that sizzling bacon without feeling a thing!
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:38 pm

I would say it was just dumb luck that I didn't build anything larger.
We had a whole pound of black powder.
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:28 pm

UnderDude wrote:Guess it's kind of a good thing I can hardly feel anything with my right hand, I can flip that sizzling bacon without feeling a thing!

Wait am i missing something UD? When did this happen?

Damn bob! one pound of black powder can cause some serious damage.

I think the worst thing i ever did was when i was 12 and i lite a roman candle and threw it inside a parked car that had the windows down. It really messed up that guys interior. My dumbass kept playing with fireworks on the same street with my buddies so when the cars owner came back he started yelling at us as we ran away. Lets just say it ended with my parents paying for his repairs...
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:03 am

May 2015. Woke up completely numb on my right side. Packed a bag and drove to the ER. Stroke.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Off Topic