The Question of Fitness?

Just getting from one place to another, or Living a Nomadic Life Style and everything in between

The Question of Fitness?

Postby kiltedninja » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:43 pm

I couldn't think of exactly where to put this, since it touches on all aspects of survival, but here goes;

What aspects of physical fitness would you deem most necessary for long term survival in the ZPAW? How do they differ based on your environment? How do they differ based on the gear you're carrying? What about when your vehicle breaks down? What are considerations in an urban environment versus in the woods? How about in the desert versus in the mountains?
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Re: The Question of Fitness?

Postby ConSeannery » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:30 pm

In the words of Coach Anderson, my high school football coach

POWER CLEANS!
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Endurance I'd say.
If my vehicle broke down I'd have some serious issues. Medical issues would hamper my ability to carry what I'd want.
I'd be better off in an urban/suburban area with a mild/colder climate.
Water and ammo are extremely heavy.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:35 am

Initially I would agree with UD's Endurance. But then the question would shift to muscular endurance or cardiovascular endurance. However, when asked about differences in environment and other variables, I would have to say adaptability via cross-training. Running on concrete or pavement is considerably harder on the body than on natural ground. Lower oxygen levels at higher altitudes makes the body work harder to get the oxygen needed for muscular contractions. In Desert regions, the hotter temperatures cause the body to loose water faster while trying to cool itself. As far as gear goes, not only what you will carry is important, but also what gear you are wearing. Cotton is ideal for arid climates and wool for colder climates. Clothes you wear (and gear not worn) for recreational camping, is not ideal for survival.

Cross-Training allows for functional fitness training across most common conditions, and are adjustable to different geographical regions. My current X-training includes cycling, swimming, and hiking (several knee reconstructions prevent me from running) and weight training. If I lived in Colorado, I would include skiing. If I lived in New Mexico, I would have to increase load bearing to allow for the extra water I would carry. Make sure to continue full gear training so you are not labored by the weight of your pack.

Living in Central Texas, I don't have to worry about the West Texas Mountains as my BOL is 150 miles or 2.5 hours by car (12 hours by bicycle, 48 hours walking... according to google maps, I don't plan on confirming these numbers) southeast from where I live. And since West Texas is our most arid part of the state, I can avoid desert conditions as well. But if an event would happen while on vacation, I would take the precautions to at least have an understanding of environmental risks to that area.
Most of my comments should be read with your best "BROCK SAMSON" voice. While others should be read with your best "CLINT EASTWOOD" voice. A few, and I mean a very few should be read with your best "JOE PESCI" voice.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:03 am

I don't think being able to run a marathon is necessary, but having stamina is definitely important. Being able to ruck up and hike all day for days on end is invaluable. Sprinting short distances is also likely an important thing in the urban environments. Being able to swim might be a good thing to have under your belt as well.

ConSeannery, you're right. Power Cleans and other explosive lifts like that are important. I like Power cleans, dead lifts, squats and snatches.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby zombreach » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:47 pm

I hate exercising...PERIOD!

That being said, I believe cardio is important-- as is endurance. I could walk all day, but put a heavy pack on my shoulders and add in rough terrain, and I'm a tortoise. I don't run anymore--unless something is chasing me--too many old joints creaking and complaining when pushed to any type of speed. That only gives me a 50% chance--LOL!!

As for environment, mountain terrain definitely requires more endurance than cardio, as would the desert--walking through sand is damn tiring. Speed would be more essential in an urban or forest setting--although if we are talking zombies, the woods would be very dangerous.

Being physically fit would be important, but it would be better to have a few extra pounds, as opposed to being rail thin--gotta' have some reserves built in for the lean times.
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:04 pm

I got that part covered.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby mission_survivor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:52 pm

zombreach wrote:...gotta' have some reserves built in for the lean times.
:good post:
Most of my comments should be read with your best "BROCK SAMSON" voice. While others should be read with your best "CLINT EASTWOOD" voice. A few, and I mean a very few should be read with your best "JOE PESCI" voice.
mission_survivor
Hunter

Postby kiltedninja » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:55 pm

A valid excuse for all the beer I drink lol.

"I'm packing on a few extra pounds for the zombie apocalypse."

I'm a smallish and naturally lean guy, but I never strive for low body fat. I actually have spent the last year or so trying to maintain a strong core without shedding all my body fat.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Kavorkian » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:59 pm

I can't relate to you people. I have the body of a Greek God....
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Surviving on the Road