Practical Vehicle Emergency Kit

Just getting from one place to another, or Living a Nomadic Life Style and everything in between

Re: Practical Vehicle Emergency Kit

Postby zbuddy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:59 pm

kiltedninja wrote:I'd say get a wool blanket or a poncho liner too. Cause a heater is nice, but in an emergency, redundancy is good.

On my last road trip we waited in my broken down car all night for a tow truck in the snow, all I had to keep warm was a poncho liner, my Carhartt and a bottle of whisky. The poncho liner went to my friend in the back seat, and I was wanting for something more. Now I keep two wool blankets in my trunk.

Brilliant idea, KN. I used to keep one of my liners in the car, but my old dog has taken a strong liking too it, so it is just going to be where he can lay on it until he isn't around anymore...

Either way, I ought to have two. I am assuming you are using one of the MARPAT issue ones? Mine is a coyote brown Wiggy's version, and it is amazing.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zbuddy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 pm

Bob wrote:If you have a pair of pants that are tight on you those are the ones that should be in your kit.
It won't be long before they are big on you in a true survival situation.

I've been about the same weight for the past 10 years, but I understand what you are saying. If anything, be sure to keep a good belt, I would imagine.

Breach: Yes, absolutely. I used to take them with us when we went on bigger party backpacking/hunting trips - but having them charged and ready to go during a critical situation just doesn't seem likely. I have a good pair of Motorolla's though. I think about a 3 Km range or so.

Also, with those things, there is ZERO COMSEC involved, just to let everyone know.
zbuddy
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:35 pm

I hear ya.
The blanket I kept in my car for years became a dog bed.
I had it in the house for a wash and he adopted it.
He would drag it around the house everywhere he went.
He likes to ball it up and carry it in his mouth.
He wants to play tug of war with it.
He wants it on his bed when he sleeps.
He mopes around when it is being washed.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby zombreach » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:55 pm

He sounds just like a child with his blankie..LOL! Too cute!
zombreach
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:14 pm

Yup he does act like that.
Personally I think dogs are evolving.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:55 pm

zbuddy wrote:
kiltedninja wrote:I'd say get a wool blanket or a poncho liner too. Cause a heater is nice, but in an emergency, redundancy is good.

On my last road trip we waited in my broken down car all night for a tow truck in the snow, all I had to keep warm was a poncho liner, my Carhartt and a bottle of whisky. The poncho liner went to my friend in the back seat, and I was wanting for something more. Now I keep two wool blankets in my trunk.

Brilliant idea, KN. I used to keep one of my liners in the car, but my old dog has taken a strong liking too it, so it is just going to be where he can lay on it until he isn't around anymore...

Either way, I ought to have two. I am assuming you are using one of the MARPAT issue ones? Mine is a coyote brown Wiggy's version, and it is amazing.

Yeah I have a MARPAT one. It's coyote on the other side, I ended up with an extra tarp also. I don't mind.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby Eddiethehead » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:03 pm

I have a shit ton of lighters in my truck from when I used to smoke. I've got a lot of tools, since it's my work pickup around the farm too. A few knives, flashlights, spare batteries, a general vehicle kit which is basically just a watered down BOB, some water bottles and protein bars...there's not much you can fit in a single cab truck. I have a toolbox but my dad and I had to break the lock on it to get it open, because it used to be his and he lost his keys. So it will latch but it won't lock.
And on the 8th day, God looked down on his planned paradise, and said "I need a caretaker."
So God made a farmer.
Eddiethehead
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:58 pm

Does anyone else keep a fire can in their ride?
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby kiltedninja » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:58 pm

UnderDude wrote:Does anyone else keep a fire can in their ride?

A fire can? No. I do have an old ammo can in my trunk that I could use for that reason if I so wanted to I suppose.
He who wears the cloth, will always wear the cloth, and those that wear the cloth will always have a brother in me.
kiltedninja
Hunter

Postby UnderDude » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:08 pm

Fire extinguisher.....
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

PreviousNext

Return to Surviving on the Road