The Longbow Thread

Re: The Longbow Thread

Postby Red Star » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 am

Tyler Danann wrote:
Red Star wrote:And that is why the shield was used for protection as well. ;)

Anyone trying to be stealthy and using a bow can be easily found, just like artillery. It has a definitive arc from its trajectory and pretty much points right back to the firing point. Except at pretty close range it would be too hard to get the head shot needed to put down a zombie. Even with the practice I've had with my recurve archery gear I would be more apt to slug it out instead. However, bows can definitely put more food on the table and quietly at that. That is the best reason for bow use, hands down.

I'll agree to differ on that one RS. Some people are more suited to the CQB and others raining death from afar. :)

Hey, if I was only arching at the living I would have no problem nailing them with my recurve gear. However, firearms are the best ranged weapons for hitting the undead and putting them down for good, followed by the crossbow. Out of curiosity, how much archery practice have you had and with what types of bows? Trying for head shots and getting follow up shots isn't going to be easy under pressure while they may be closing with you. Unless you are Robin Hood or Legolas you will be burning through your arrows leaving you with an empty quiver. Perhaps Mongol or Japanese archers would yield better results in the real world.

Archery is best left for food gathering and fighting the living, or from a prepared defensive position. Try to see things from a practical and realistic approach, I'm fairly certain that most people would agree with my reasoning. If not, whatever works for them is fine and good luck to them if the world turns upside down some day.
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Tyler Danann » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:26 pm

People will get better or not at all.

I take a Nietzien view of any ZAW scenario. If someone is no good with a bow they could be worm-food, or zombie-matter for that matter LOL.

If they can out-survive and out-slay the zombies then they will of proven they have what it takes in the survival of the fittest to carry on, thrive and survive.

While firearms will have this, the bow and arrow, BP weaponry etc will likely be the weapons of a long-term survivalist in a ZAW. :)
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Postby Tyler Danann » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 pm

redeyes wrote:What is a quirkster? I read the Urban dictionary definition and it basically said something like a hipster. I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your definition and the Urban dictionary definition are wildly different.

It is most certainly NOT like a hipster at all!

A quirkster is someone who is between quirky and eccentric.
Tyler Danann
Survivor

Previous

Return to Bows / Crossbows and other Ranged Weapons