Con wants to get into archery and bow hunting

Con wants to get into archery and bow hunting

Postby ConSeannery » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:23 pm

But everytime I get curious, I see one of those pictures where the arrow snaps and goes through the wrist and/or hand of the shooter, so I get scared away. My stepfather and probably-future-father-in-law are both big into it, so I have people that can help me if I decide to. Does anyone here have experience with bows? I'd prefer recurve I think, so expecially those. Any help from the fine, fine folks around here?
Never hit first. Always hit back.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Re: Con wants to get into archery and bow hunting

Postby UnderDude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:39 pm

I've never seen that happen before. I'd probably go with a recurve as well.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:18 pm

http://tinyurl.com/pdp2rm2

This is what I was talking about. DISCLAIMER: 120% NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. GRAPHIC AS ALL GET OUT. BE PREPARED FOR BLOOD.

The only thing worse than a zombie trying to eat you, is a zombie trying to eat you while it is on fire.
ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby Red Star » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Notice they are all aluminum or possibly graphite arrows? All compound bow activity there. Those are the only shafts safe enough(supposedly) to be used on them because wooden ones would shatter. That being said, two things come to mind when I see these pictures. First, they were using arrows too short for their arm length on the bow. Second, they were pulling their bows back too far while rushing a shot. That will result in the arrow coming off of the nocking point of the bow- if let go you can see the obvious results. With any bow arrow length is very important- the longer the arms, the longer the draw. You just can't go right off the rack when it comes to this. Sure, a shorter armed person could use longer arrows in a pinch, but it still will affect accuracy as well. Longer arms using shorter arrows yield the results in those nasty photos!

Anyone else chime in, I will get back into the discussion when I am home later on! ;)
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby ConSeannery » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

So all I have to do is not be an idiot and be patient with my shots?

ConSeannery
Hunter

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

I bet that hurt like a sumbitch!
I have shot a bow only a few times and that never happened to me.
I had a problem with the bow string slapping my left forearm so I kind of lost interest.
I found a gun much easier and less painful to shoot.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Red Star » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:10 pm

That is why armguards are necessary, to keep the bowstring from messing around with your arm. With practice, you don't even hit your arm after a while for the most part. I have hit my arm more with a compound bow string than with a recurve one. Being left handed, I always used to use a left handed bow. My first recurve was a tad light(45 lb. draw) but I was pretty good with it. When my parents got me a lefty compound bow I lost it. For me the draw felt wrong, starting off hard and then going back faster. This was due to the pulley action, recurves have a steady and progressive pull. Holding back the string on a recurve is tougher, while the compound's pulleys make it easier to do so. The release of a compound bow to me is uncomfortable, as it kind of slaps the arrow off of the bow(at least to me). Never got used to it so it collected dust after using it for a couple of years. I then bought my uncle's recurve stuff- a more powerful bow and right handed to boot. Turned out I got even better at it switching over, so I think I was hardwired for recurves from the start. It really comes down to preference, try both types if at all possible. If you get a chance to test one before buying see if they will mention arrow length first- if they don't, they probably don't know diddly about it other than watching Robin Hood or something.

Archery is a lot of fun, practice is key though. Some people are born naturals and take to them quite easily. If having trouble at the start, don't give up easily- you will surprise yourself in a short enough time. Don't be ashamed to start off with something weak for getting into it, once you get the hang of it you can get something better and more worthwhile...

just be safe, be calm, and have fun! 8-)

More on archery later :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Time to get up, you're not dead yet...
but you certainly will be if you don't move your ass!
Red Star
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby UnderDude » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:45 pm

DAMN! That'll leave a mark.
I Plead The 2nd
UnderDude
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Kavorkian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:03 pm

I wonder if that hurts more than getting shot...
Professional soldiers are predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
Kavorkian
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:45 pm

K
At least you could potentially remove an arrow yourself and no hydrostatic soft tissue damage.
ADVERSUS VICTUS MORTUUS TANTUM CAPUT MISSA PENDO
Bob
Team Exodus
Team Exodus

Next

Return to Bows / Crossbows and other Ranged Weapons